It is currently Aug 12th, 2020, 5:51 pm Advanced search

My never ending project

Moderators: Fenny, oscanada, GTI, lew

Re: My never ending project

Postby air-cooled » Aug 19th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Well I got some time home and decided to work on the bug. I borrowed a rack from a fellow ac guy and then put the bug on top of it. (lifted it myself) :crazy: I won't do that again. So anyway I got the luggage tray welded together, the heater channel in front both sides replaced and repaired. I just made my own. I hade some rockers along the doors made and welded them in. These had to be tweaked so I can get access to the bottom door bolts, and I welded under the hood firewall section so the car is solid now. Just got to do the engine bay, and the wheel wells.
Here's a few progress pics.

Well that's it for now. I hope to get back home soon and do the rest of the welding.
air-cooled

Postby air-cooled » Jan 14th, 2012, 6:49 am

Nothing new done on the bug, just waiting to get the money together to move ahead. S I figured I'd post a few pics of the progression from when I started it 7-8 years ago.
This is when I first cut the roof off,
Then fitz and Glenn came up and spent a few weekends welding the roof. I bought a bug in bay Roberts and cut that up for the roof and door pieces I needed for filler.
Also brought in an oval roof, hood and rear window to fit in it,
This is the original window leaning against the new roofline, I think we took out 6-8"
Then it bounced around a couple of shops trying to get it done, then finally it went to auto renew where it wad done to a point where it was ready for paint,
Then I traded it to phill for a triumph, and I moved to the big city. It sat outside for 3 years while I was away. First thing I did when I got back home was go to Phil's and got her back. The new floors wer rotted, rockers wer rotted, new headliner was destroyed, it was raped of its 1776cc, engine, a sad sight, but it was good for me. I called a truck and had it brought to moms till I got my own place.
Then I made a few changes, fixed a few things, bought a few parts
Took a break with my little helper,
Ant the rest is posted above in previous posts.
I have it on hold for a while waiting for funds for parts. Till then I'll be working on the notch.
That's it :roll:
air-cooled

Postby Fenny » Jan 14th, 2012, 1:10 pm

:clap: :clap: Awesome work so far!
Fenny

Postby air-cooled » Jul 14th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Got a bit sidetracked from the notch. Got a motor for the bug finally. 1835 . And .... It fit! I got a bit of room in there so I'm thinking of cutting it all up again. The new plan is to cut the tunnel just in front of the gearbox shift linkage, lift the whole thing about 4"( lowering the car another 4" as a result) weld it all back in with a wider swing axle set up. Once done I should gain a much needed 1.5" s in the width and I may move it back an inch also while I'm at it. I'll need to cut the rear parcel tray out, cut the wheel wells out and move them up a couple of inches, remove the shift rod from the tunnel and run it inside a pipe above the tunnel,cut out the shifter mounting hole and lift it up 4"s and that should be it. Still havnt got a new roof yet, but I remembered a couple I used to get parts from years ago, I just need to find time to go get it. I put my shell back on the pan to test fit the motor, and now my body mount holes don't line up on the side that I tacked the new pan in, so. Need to address this also. When I cut I to the parcel tray is a good time to do this so I'll be able to spread the rockers a half inch. That should do it. I'm. Waiting on some rockers for the notch so it'll be on hold for a while till those get here. Unless I get bored with the bug again.
Ps.... Scottie, I got a couple of stickers for you. Not much but it's a start.
air-cooled

Postby GTI » Jul 15th, 2012, 11:02 am

:)
1983 Rabbit GTI
1984 Rabbit GTI
1983 Rabbit Cabriolet
2007 GTI
GTI

Postby air-cooled » Jan 5th, 2013, 12:24 am

Got a little update. I have been working on the floors in the bug lately. When I first tacked the floors down and placed the shell, well nothing lined up. Scared me a little because of how many times the shel has been cut. Anyway I took the shell back up again and cut the tack welds off and decided to bolt the pans to the shell first then drop it all down on the tunnel. This worked great, though I had to lift and trimm a few times till finally I got sick of lifting and welded everything in solid. Looks good to me and all the holes are where they should be.

I seam sealed the tops and I'll prep for paint soon. I got the gearbox painted and all the moving parts in the rear painted and some uro bushings in the IRS trailing arms. In order to eliminate any negative camber when it is lowered, I cut off the shock mounts and re welded them to the top of the trailing arms. Still need to do the bump stops. Then I took the passenger side arms and torsions and flipped them to the drivers side and visa versa. I adjusted the spring plates, replaced the bolts with new Alan key bolts, painted everything up nice and put it all back together. Sorry no pics of that.
So anyway I wanted to make sure it all worked as planned so I threw the motor in and set it on the floor. It worked great, I just need to lift about an inch or so because my tires are rubing on the fender wells. I'm thinking of switching wheels to ford wheels and running adapters. This will give me an inch extra spacing from the tire and body.
Anyway that's it for now.
air-cooled

Postby vdubkarl » Jan 5th, 2013, 9:15 am

good to see you're still chipping away and haven't given up on this yet, haha. git er done
vdubkarl

Postby BobNorman » Jan 8th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Wow. Great job so far :clap: :clap: I don't know why I hadn't seen this thread before. I still need to get out to your place to check out the notch too.
BobNorman

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Jan 9th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Sounds like quite a pain getting those pans right, glad it worked out in the end though. Cant wait to see this come together.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby air-cooled » Jan 3rd, 2014, 12:05 pm

Did a bit of picking at the bug the past few days. Just had to cut out the wheel wells and
Get them lifted. I have new ones on the way. I'm doing this because the cost of 3x3 swing arms
And all the rest of the things is have to buy to widen the rear to clear the tires is way too much$
This is the cheaper but more time consuming way.
Before
In between after the first cut. Still need to take out about 2" of body metal that'll be done once the new parts get here.
This is the gear loosely assembled in the front end. Things I've been collecting for quite a few years now. Still a few bits missing and the spring I got is too short so I need to get another one of those.
air-cooled

Postby air-cooled » Jan 24th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Well I'm back at work now but before I went I got my new inner fenders and the exhaust. The exhaust
Will need to be destroyed and they'll send me a new one because of how shitty it looked. They finally agreed to
Replace it but not before I cut it up and send pics. It's a bug pack mega dual. Anyway got the in era lifted and tacked
Into place. Also got my new extra tall air cleaners.
Here's a few pics of it all.
Before cutting
After tacking in
Exhaust and new filter
Other side
Ant that's it for now. I'll get it all welded and in primer once I get back
air-cooled

Postby air-cooled » Sep 12th, 2014, 11:31 pm

Well I had a bit of time home and did a bit of work on the bug when ever I could.
I got the wheel wells welded all in and put a new trim on. Still got to get inside and finish
Closing it all in. Now the wheels fit great. I also re fitted the deck lid and trimmed out for the
Carbs and exhaust.
Today Ioved to the front. I assembled my front end so I can see what I need to do to finish it all up. Took a couple of shots of that just so I can feel like I am getting somewhere.
That's it for now. I'm off to work on Monday so time to put away my toys.
air-cooled

Postby air-cooled » May 28th, 2015, 12:44 am

Well not much of an update. I did get a few more things done but still waiting to borrow my buddy's bead roller so I can finish my new section behind the back seat. I had to cut out the old firewall and floor above the gear box because it was hitting. I made a new piece but need to borrow the bead roller before I can weld it in.
I had the cash to buy my new brakes and shit that I need to finish up the front end but I blew it on a new 2 wheel project. Well it's not new, far from it but it's new to me and when I'm done it'll be good as new. It should be ready soon and them it's back into the bug.
I hope to get some time home this summer so I can get this thing ready for paint.
Motor still needs to be looked into. Anyone want to do that for me? It's got an oil leak and needs a tear down and build up to be sure it's in top condition.
Anyway that's it
air-cooled

Postby air-cooled » May 28th, 2015, 12:46 am

Oh I also need to track down some space savers for a mustang or a s10. Haven't decided what bolt pattern I'll be using yet
air-cooled

Postby BobNorman » May 29th, 2015, 8:46 am

air-cooled wrote:Well not much of an update. I did get a few more things done but still waiting to borrow my buddy's bead roller so I can finish my new section behind the back seat. I had to cut out the old firewall and floor above the gear box because it was hitting. I made a new piece but need to borrow the bead roller before I can weld it in.
I had the cash to buy my new brakes and shit that I need to finish up the front end but I blew it on a new 2 wheel project. Well it's not new, far from it but it's new to me and when I'm done it'll be good as new. It should be ready soon and them it's back into the bug.
I hope to get some time home this summer so I can get this thing ready for paint.
Motor still needs to be looked into. Anyone want to do that for me? It's got an oil leak and needs a tear down and build up to be sure it's in top condition.
Anyway that's it

Looks great Dave, Think it'll be ready for the dub show? Not a bead roller, but I do have stretcher/shrinkers if you need to borrow them.
BobNorman

Postby air-cooled » Jun 1st, 2015, 9:20 pm

Hey Bob I think I'll take you up on that. I need to shape my new bike fender. It's not a very good fit.
I don't think I'll be home for dubfest sadly. The bug definitely won't make it. Maby we can have an end of season meet.
air-cooled

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Jun 1st, 2015, 10:29 pm

You have been away too long, *The Dub Show, haha.

Nice to see still some progress on this.
What is the new two wheel project.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby air-cooled » Jun 2nd, 2015, 1:59 am

Oh,ah...dub fest? Sorry
Anyway the 2 wheel project is just something I've been hunting a long time. Don't want to talk about it or show it till it's done.
Should be finished when I get back.
And if I can swing it I'm going to pick up the final bits for the front end soon. Then it's just a few bits to weld in and body work.
I'm sur I'm forgetting a ton of stuff but well see.
air-cooled

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Jun 2nd, 2015, 10:39 am

Maybe someday you will bring this golf you are hot rodding to dubfest.

Ohhhhhh secrets. Excited to see what it is and how it turns out.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby BobNorman » Jun 2nd, 2015, 8:41 pm

Shoot me an email when you get back. I can drop them out, or you can swing by... You were right by the way, that tumbler didn't do much, had it running all night ...I even tried kitty litter (saw it online somewhere), Didn't really do much at all.
BobNorman

Postby air-cooled » Jun 3rd, 2015, 1:47 am

They have a more coarse media at harbor freight I was thinking of getting that to try. I'm just afraid if it's too aggressive it'll eat through something.
air-cooled

Previous

Return to Members Builds & Projects