It is currently Jan 22nd, 2020, 2:18 pm Advanced search

The continuation of the 84 Jetta Coupe 16V build.

Moderators: Fenny, oscanada, GTI, lew

The continuation of the 84 Jetta Coupe 16V build.

Postby Aucoin » Aug 16th, 2010, 11:58 am

I figured since it is much more suiting to put the build thead here I will begin to update it .. here..

Once apon a time, it looked like this.

Then, I did this to it.

and after a couple of months and swears, it eventually looked like this.

and now, it looks like this.

The entire build thread from where it was, to what it is now is found here.
http://www.newfoundlandmotorsports.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=35527&start=120

And now, the continuation.
My climate control consists of window cranks.

The Dub Show 2015- This year with MOAR 50/50.
Aucoin

Re: The continuation of the 84 Jetta Coupe 16V build.

Postby Aucoin » Aug 16th, 2010, 12:23 pm

After, many many months of being unable to really do anything at all with the car due to a number of reasons; school being the bigest one I have finally been able to get back at the car.

Although I haven't been able to work on the car I have been order parts like crazy. Last year when I actaully got to drive the car, me and Arron.C went for a little drive to see if he could pin point out where my steering was loose. Seamed like everytime I would turn the wheel it would almost always turn back on it's self a little bit.

So , to compleatly get rid of any doubt. I ordered a whole new rack, inner and outer tie-rods,boots and clips. I also ordered all new poly stuff from AutoTech. I will give this warning to anyone ordering stuff from autotech, shipping is killer and so is the duty. Literally , it cost more for shipping and duty then bushings for the steering rack and the control arms.

At this point it was supposed to head to Fitz to have the roll-cage put in, he had requested I remove all the glass in the car to prevent any burning, so all of the glass was removed.

The car was to have the roll cage put in on monday however, after speaking with Mr.Fitzpatric he said it would be easier on him if I posponed the build until the 23rd of August. Which really worked out for me so I would have time to get the car back on its wheels.

As the car sits now, on all fours with suspensions and rack temporarly in place.

More pictures to follow possibly tonight. I recived another box today with some stuff.

Aucoin

Postby Fenny » Aug 16th, 2010, 1:04 pm

Dope 8-)
Fenny

Postby GTI » Aug 16th, 2010, 1:40 pm

Glad to see you are making the build post a priority on this site now 8-)

You should get some pictures of when the car was blue with the Dynasty headlights and its various forms of life prior to the round headlight flat black.

Where did you get your rack from Jon. I think mine is starting to get bad in the GTI and I don't have a spare one of those :lol:
1983 Rabbit GTI
1984 Rabbit GTI
1983 Rabbit Cabriolet
2007 GTI
GTI

Postby Aucoin » Aug 16th, 2010, 2:28 pm

I'd love to see some pictures of the car befor it was flat black. I have never seen any, aparently arron has some old ones that I should try to get off of him. There are still traces of blue on some of the seals and calipers. Calipers which are now on Jamal's car as I want the Willwood 4pots. Although, they are not exactly in my realm of price range right now.

Thanks Fenny!

anddd I got the rack new off of a guy on the tex. It was a nice price, I can't even get them threw here at the dealership. I did see this one however , http://dubberz.com/forum/index.php?topic=44007.0 . There was another one on the tex the other day as well that had a Quaife low ratio installed in a new rack for like 200$ as well. Kicked myself after seeing it.

Aucoin

Postby GTI » Aug 16th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Seen that one on Dubberz.
1983 Rabbit GTI
1984 Rabbit GTI
1983 Rabbit Cabriolet
2007 GTI
GTI

Postby Aucoin » Aug 16th, 2010, 3:21 pm

This is the one

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4984577-Quafe-low-ratio-steering-rack

I believe the low ratio gear from Quaife is now NLA as well, they were like 299$ from autotech, so 400$ by the time its in your car.

Still.. alota money..

Aucoin

Postby GTI » Aug 16th, 2010, 3:27 pm

I have to take a break buying parts from the US. Duty is killing me and it's so much harder to make the purchases without the Treasurer noticing.

Now, back to the topic at hand. Where did we fall on the front headlight choice for your Jetta? :lol:
1983 Rabbit GTI
1984 Rabbit GTI
1983 Rabbit Cabriolet
2007 GTI
GTI

Postby Foxtrap » Aug 17th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Aucoin wrote:I'd love to see some pictures of the car befor it was flat black. I have never seen any, aparently arron has some old ones that I should try to get off of him. There are still traces of blue

oh yeah....it was about 7-8-10 years ago?.. I remember pulling up in my 89 Fox next to a SUPERMAN BLUE mk1 jetta coupe...and thinking "yes"

it was deadly really.
92 Jetta GTX 16v
Chev Silverado 1500 4.3 liter 4b4
Foxtrap

Postby Aucoin » Aug 18th, 2010, 12:07 am

Although these have been in my hands for a little while, I received a big ol box of brake stuff earlier today. For Cluney and Andy when we we're speaking on the 22mm master and 16V rocco stuff I hope what I received, is the solution.

But as it looks right now I will be swapping to rear discs. Now, I know all about the rear locking situation so this is how I plan to counteract that.

No idea of this "crazy" American style brake flaring idea but, Im sure I can make it work.

I will take pictures of the rest of the brake setup as soon as I get it a little cleaned up.

The blue looked like it would have been pretty sweet actually, I'll have to get after arron to see if I can find some pictures.

Aucoin

Postby Aucoin » Aug 21st, 2010, 9:59 pm

Whats goin on here?

Is it snowing?

Feels like it could start outside any day down, when the hell did August become October?

Anywho, thanks Mitch I got my sandblast on this weekend. He hooked me with the proper supplys to get the job done. Thanks Mitch, Rob and Andrew!

Since it was a " less expensive" gun it didn't tear threw the whole car all that quickly, however I did get the spots done I wanted to get done. Problem is when your using glass in confined spaces you can get silicosis? Which is aparently a bad thing.. so I could only blast for so long until I couldn't see and there was a couple of pounds of glass on the floor.

Anywho, work pictures we're hard to take due to the lack of visibility and a free hand. I'll be sure to update soon.

Aucoin

Postby 8382 » Aug 22nd, 2010, 7:06 am

Do work Son :ugeek:
its got a cop motor

Postby Aucoin » Sep 10th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Woo, updates.

Iv been waiting a while actaully to update until I had enough to show. Most of the work has been tedious and boring. Welding and grinding, the floors however are to my liking now. They are completely striped and ready for por-15. However, the car is not here..

It's currently at Island Rod and Custom, where Tony Fitz is putting in the roll cage over the next week. It was initially a bit of a struggle due to rules and regs from Targa being changed for this year and requiring some new pieces to be added. However that's all resolved and construction is underway.

So, this has freed up some time for me to do some other things.

I got me one of these

Took apart all my wheels and was left with a few of these.

Took two hours on each lip and ended up with this.

Or, these I guess.. 4 of um..

Now, a couple of weeks ago I tried many techniquies to try and get my bolts to be black, without paying 200$ for them. I just, cant justify it. I had a little sucess with gun blueing but, nothing that I liked. SO I handed a wheel lip bolt to Mike over at Extreme Powder Coating and asked him. Can you make dis .. black.. he said.. yis.. I said.. awesome.

A couple of days later, he showed me his work and needless to say I was extremely pleased with the quality, thus I decided this was the best route. Soooo It meant cleaning 150 wheel bolts by hand on a wire wheel to make it easier on Mike. I also have to wrap them in wire and surround the threads with tape, again so mike doesn't hate my life for asking him to do it lol.

150 you say? 30 per wheel you say?

Well, as I had discussed earlier in the posts I had intended on putting rear discs on the car and hopefully upgrading the entire system in general. As you have seen the Wilwood per portioning valves in earlier posts.

Well , for Cluney and Andy, and anyone else who wants to upgrade there brakes on thier mk1, mk2 or mk3 from much research this is the way to go about it using fairly inexpressive parts.

Scirocco 16V Hand Brake Cables.

MK4 Aluminum Rear Calipers (these are way lighter then the originals) , Audi A6Q 2002-2005 Rear Flex Lines, and MK1 Scirocco Rear Disc carriers.

Then, theres the rear discs, pads, bearing kits, new rear spindles or you can reuse the old off of a rocco 16V orrr mk2 16V

This is the Big one, a 22mm Master Cylinder from a 16V rocco.AND the booster , MOSTLY because the booster will attach to the brake pedal without having to weld on bracket.

All in all, a fair chunk of schtuff.

Now, onto my favorite upgrade from this summers parts ordering

Wilwood 4-pot Billet Dynalite Calipers and EBC RedStuff Pads.
This Calipers are amazing, they weigh 2.5LBS drastically reducing the unstrung weight on the front end of the car. Now, the adapters on top of that make them about 4LBS each.

Oh, and a front opening hood latch so I can leave out the release cable.

Thats all for now. Im not waiting on the car to come back so I can POR-15 and finish up the engine bay.

Aucoin

Postby newfcoupe » Sep 10th, 2010, 9:22 pm

Soo 150 eh. Shit.

Looking good with all the stuff, things coming together in bunches.

LOL, looks like your steal of a deal on those calipers were for real. Did you feel like the chick in the IKEA comercial when you opened the box. "run, start the carrrrrr"
newfcoupe

Postby Aucoin » Sep 10th, 2010, 9:39 pm

I really did, honestly, I thaught I was gonna get a first generation game boy in the box after talking to this guy. But it turns out he was legit, I dont see how he couldn't find the part number tho lol its stamped right into them.

Aucoin

Postby Trekracing » Sep 10th, 2010, 10:47 pm

Gonna be a sweet ride when it's all done. Hopefully we can compete against/with each other some year in Targa/Auto X.
Slalom #27
Targa 2010 #1032
Trekracing

Postby vdubkarl » Sep 10th, 2010, 11:11 pm

I'm mclovin' it.
vdubkarl

Postby Foxtrap » Sep 10th, 2010, 11:51 pm

Looks like a box of sexy parts... The wilwoods worked out after?.. Nice... Is that with 10.1 or 11's....?

And if you haven't finished all that rabbit wire/ salmon fly tying yet.... Wouldn't it be a lot easier to drill 150 1/8th inch holes in a piece of plywood to set the bolts in to give to mike the pwderman?
92 Jetta GTX 16v
Foxtrap

Postby newfcoupe » Sep 11th, 2010, 10:13 am

Good call foxtrap, but plywood would be dusty. I sometimes just use cardboard wrapped in foil and push the screws through and then the foil gets grounded and shoot away. The way he has it with the tape and wire is how I do it most of the time, but haven't done 150 at a time yet, because it allows me to turn the bolt while shooting to get best coverage.

You should have seen my reaction when I was reading the post. blah blah cool he really got the calipers after, shit look at all those bolts, wait what was that....shit I am doing all of them...
I felt like a celebrity break up when the other half hears about from a magazine artical. I didn't have any idea how that one bolt held up until I seen his pics and read the post, wire wheeling and all that goodness.

Oh and Aucoin, sorry bud, I am out of mirror black, all I have left now is hot pink, is that cool?
Last edited by newfcoupe on Sep 11th, 2010, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
newfcoupe

Postby Andy. » Sep 11th, 2010, 10:49 am

newfcoupe wrote:Oh and Aucoin, sorry bud, I am out of mirror black, all I have left now is hot pink, is that cool?

doooo it. :P
Andy.

Postby Aucoin » Sep 11th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Hmm, that might not be to bad... :idea:

Aucoin

Postby Andy. » Sep 11th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Deep-dish mesh wheels look sweet in pink or any crazy colour for that matter.
Andy.

Postby Foxtrap » Sep 11th, 2010, 1:23 pm

I've contemplated red for mine.... Pretty hot on white.... Pink on black- sex
92 Jetta GTX 16v
Foxtrap

Postby newfcoupe » Sep 11th, 2010, 1:25 pm

See that doesn't look so bad. I mean, pink is the new gold you know...
newfcoupe

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Sep 11th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Oh dear god no, dont succumb to the the pink wheel thing.... not on such a nice car.
Colonel_Mustard

Next

Return to Members Builds & Projects