It is currently Mar 3rd, 2021, 2:18 am Advanced search

The Dub Show 2015 [Discussion]

Official forum for The Dub Show. Check out http://thedubshownl.ca for more info.

Moderators: Fenny, oscanada, GTI, lew, Colonel_Mustard, Aucoin

The Dub Show 2015 [Discussion]

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Apr 8th, 2015, 3:52 pm

The official post of announcements is locked to keep it clean for anyone looking for info.
So here we can discuss the 7th annual Dub Show.

Lots of new things coming this year and we are super excited about it.

Few things:
-Date: August 9th, 2015
-Join our Facebook group and follow us on instagram
-Use #TheDubShowNL #DubShowPrep and tag us @TheDubShowNL
-Check out our GoFundMe, donate, share it

This WILL be our biggest and best show yet. In order for that to happen the biggest thing we need is the support from all you guys. Right now that would just entail spreading the word to family, friends, on social media, etc.

As more and more announcements roll out and we get closer to the show we will reach out for more help. Including some dedicated help for the day of the show.

Can't wait to share the new details with you all. We just released the date and every few weeks or so we will be releasing new details. Lots to look forward to.

-Christopher Squires & Jon Aucoin
The Dub Show
Colonel_Mustard

Re: The Dub Show 2015 [Discussion]

Postby VwFixxxer » Apr 20th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Why is it being moved to Jack Byrne Arena? I can't help but feel the fundraising side through the sale of Hamburgers and Hot Dogs will lose out due to the lack of foot traffic that will normally just show up at the park on a nice day. We would always get people walking through the show when they didn't even know it was going to be there on that day. To have a show at a remote location like an arena parking lot in Torbay will limit foot traffic to those people who want to see VW's.
VwFixxxer

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Apr 20th, 2015, 8:48 pm

It has been moved mainly for a change. The show has spend 6 years at the park, and while we love it, its the same ol same ol. I was going through all the pics of past years and its hard to tell what year is what. Just thought the show could use some new life.
The arena parking lots gives us a change, and lots of room to set up differently. We can have more room to organize cars, give each car more room instead of door to door at the park, and room to add some extra things to the show.
Getting foot traffic from the park was great, but wasn't a huge factor. Especially on rainy years, it was just the VW people out anyway. We are doing new things for fundraising and will definitely exceed any previous year.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby shicks » Apr 20th, 2015, 10:29 pm

I think it's a great location, haha I'll be able to walk to it.
shicks

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Apr 20th, 2015, 11:17 pm

So you should have no trouble bringing a few rides ;)

Its a change for this year for the reasons I mentioned. I had to sit out last year and this year coming back I wanted to mix things up a little. Get some new life into the show. All while maintaining the core of the show that we have built.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby emkayfourturbo » Apr 21st, 2015, 1:05 pm

Personally I like the park better then the arena. Trees provided shade for the hot days and shelter for the rainy ones ;) . Also people with children could go over to the playground with them to break up the day because every 5 year old doesn't like looking at vws as much as we do after the first couple hours. As Mr. Mallard said foot traffic won't be as high, not only thinkin on the fundraising side but when people randomly walk by and become interested in our little show. Then there is the fact that most vw owners have a little inner hippie in them and would enjoy a blanket under a tree in a park more then on a paved parking lot. Others may agree others may not.

My 2 cents
1989 2.0 16v
1984 GTI
2015 GTI (Lauren's car)

"Wheel gap is like a vagina...the more fingers you can fit, the worse off you are"
emkayfourturbo

Postby GTI » Apr 21st, 2015, 1:25 pm

I think you should have it Downtown so I can drop my car off to the show while I'm at work and then sneak by the show every now and then during work lol

Good luck with it all Chris and Jon. Keep up the good work and I will do what I can to spread the good word of the Dubshow! :clap:
1983 Rabbit GTI
1984 Rabbit GTI
1983 Rabbit Cabriolet
2007 GTI
GTI

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Apr 21st, 2015, 2:12 pm

emkayfourturbo wrote:Personally I like the park better then the arena. Trees provided shade for the hot days and shelter for the rainy ones ;) . Also people with children could go over to the playground with them to break up the day because every 5 year old doesn't like looking at vws as much as we do after the first couple hours. As Mr. Mallard said foot traffic won't be as high, not only thinkin on the fundraising side but when people randomly walk by and become interested in our little show. Then there is the fact that most vw owners have a little inner hippie in them and would enjoy a blanket under a tree in a park more then on a paved parking lot. Others may agree others may not.

My 2 cents

Yeah we definitely are aware of all the benefits of having it at the park. That is why we have done the park for 6 years now. :) Like I said, time for a change. A lot of things about the parking lot will be better (more room, easier access, no ramp, more freedom to do other things), but we will miss some things as well. Going to try this for 2015 and see how we like it.
Appreciate the input from everyone. The park is great but the foot traffic we saw was pretty marginal most years, and the fundraising will be increased this year even out of the park.

Thanks Scott, timing sucks that you cant make it. I know all about it having missed last year and not being able to organize it. Now just gotta get you out of typing Dubshow instead of The Dub Show haha. You can still arrange for someone to bring the GTI to the show, like I did last year with the bus.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby GTI » Apr 21st, 2015, 2:24 pm

No harm in trying something new Chris and you can go Karting at JBA while you are at the Dub Show!
1983 Rabbit GTI
1984 Rabbit GTI
1983 Rabbit Cabriolet
2007 GTI
GTI

Postby BobNorman » Apr 23rd, 2015, 10:45 pm

emkayfourturbo wrote:Personally I like the park better then the arena. Trees provided shade for the hot days and shelter for the rainy ones ;) . Also people with children could go over to the playground with them to break up the day because every 5 year old doesn't like looking at vws as much as we do after the first couple hours. As Mr. Mallard said foot traffic won't be as high, not only thinkin on the fundraising side but when people randomly walk by and become interested in our little show. Then there is the fact that most vw owners have a little inner hippie in them and would enjoy a blanket under a tree in a park more then on a paved parking lot. Others may agree others may not.

My 2 cents

Yeah, what he said. I really liked the BP venue, for all of those reasons, moreso now that I have young kids. But, as Chris said above, it’s good to shake things up and try new things too. ...you never know, could be great.

Ideally I’d like to see this in a venue somewhere where we could stay well into the evening and overnight. Maybe it’s time to turn this into a Dub-fest with music, games, and camping? I know we would attract quite a few people from further away in NL and beyond. Be a nice road trip event to go to for some, and a happy piss-up for others. A mini UK Run-to-the-Sun. Thoughts? Venue ideas?
BobNorman

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Apr 23rd, 2015, 11:35 pm

I have always thought about expanding it like that, would love to have a VW camp-out. Maybe in the future but its hard with such a small community here there wouldn't be a lot that would want to / will actually go through with it. And with our show we never really know how it will go until the day of. I would love to see it happen, but I think The Dub Show will stay as a single day event for now. Just try organizing a few VWs to camp together in the summer, its pretty difficult haha.
In another area, like here in Ontario, where its easier to attract people from all around, and there are plenty more people it would make a lot more sense for that type of idea. It is also a whole lot more responsibility and liability going with something like that. Where it would be better to have a group doing it as opposed to an official show. There is a lot of factors going on.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby Colonel_Mustard » May 4th, 2015, 11:13 pm

We have expanded in a different way though. This year we will be having a swap meet. :thumbup: or :thumbdown:
Colonel_Mustard

Postby BobNorman » May 5th, 2015, 9:12 pm

:thumbup:

Good to see Chris.
BobNorman

Postby Colonel_Mustard » May 5th, 2015, 11:58 pm

Hope you will be doing a clean up and bringing some parts out to sell.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby Colonel_Mustard » May 26th, 2015, 12:38 am

Take a few mins and check out our new website. Let me know what you think.

http://www.thedubshownl.ca
Colonel_Mustard

Postby VwFixxxer » Jul 29th, 2015, 8:19 pm

I called Slayer. They are gonna do the show next year.

VwFixxxer

Postby Danny » Aug 12th, 2015, 7:09 pm

No pictures?!
BMVA
Danny

Postby VwFixxxer » Aug 12th, 2015, 10:13 pm

There are lots of pic on Facebook.
VwFixxxer

Postby air-cooled » Sep 9th, 2015, 5:48 am

I don't do Facebook, but would still like to see some pics.
air-cooled

Return to The Dub Show