It is currently Nov 21st, 2017, 4:49 pm Advanced search

Board index  ‹ General  ‹ Lounge

road trippin

Random topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Fenny, oscanada, GTI, lew

road trippin

Postby shicks » Jan 16th, 2016, 10:37 pm

So we have been travelling around the southwest USA in the bus. We drove from San Diego up the Pacific coast highway to Big Sur. Had a great time and seen some cool sites. We had to go back to Vegas so we took this side highway back thru Bakersfield. Needed gas so I stopped at a cross roads station. Nothing around but orange groves. As I was getting gas I noticed the james dean sign. This was the last stop James Dean made before crashing his Porsche. So cool to stumble on things like this.
We left the US last week and are now backpacking in Mexico. Presently in Cancun doing the airbnb think. Lots of Volkswagens here. aircooled beetles everywhere in various states of dis-repair. There are different new VW's that are not available in Canada.

shicks

Re: road trippin

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Jan 17th, 2016, 2:11 am

Living the life man. I cant wait to take a long trip through the states in my bus. Hoping it will be an awesome Honeymoon someday. Enjoy!
Colonel_Mustard

Postby shicks » Jan 17th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Since nobody is using the forum I'll do my best to post some pictures of the travels to keep the VOGN page alive.
It's just posting pics is such a PITA.
shicks

Postby shicks » Jan 17th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Some pictures of big sur. This is an amazing place, driving north on the PCH thru desert then into huge redwoods in big sur.
Had to get Mary to play her Harp amongst the trees, so cool!!!!

The bus going across Bixby bridge. It's the bridge everyone sees on the PCH. Built in 1936.

The bus in the state park at Morro Bay

shicks

Postby shicks » Jan 17th, 2016, 8:04 pm

We stayed at Big Sur campground, beautiful campground but the most expensive (65US)
This was a pull over on the PCH. we met some cool people form all over the world on this pull over as we had lunch . Everyone was interested in the bus even tho this was the view from the sliding door.
The bus cooling down on one of the hills
Ventura beach

Venice beach, the bus was a hit even tho there are lots of buses in SoCal, not many have no rust. Mine with the full red was different so I got lots of comments on the bus. Unbelievable!

shicks

Postby GTI » Jan 17th, 2016, 10:15 pm

:thumbup: :wave:
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Postby shicks » Jan 17th, 2016, 10:52 pm

more pics,
Joshua park boulders

palm springs, beauty square back

sunset in morro bay
shicks

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Jan 18th, 2016, 4:03 am

Awesome pics. I am living vicariously through your posts. Soon as I win the lotto on Friday me and the Colonel are hitting the road. :D
Colonel_Mustard

Postby T_Dub » Jan 18th, 2016, 8:11 am

Absolutely beautiful. Gotta get back to California.
2015 GTI
2006 LR3
1977 Kawasaki KZ650-810cc
1974 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
T_Dub

Postby shicks » Jan 22nd, 2016, 8:43 pm

so been in Mexico for a week now and we have been mostly in Playa del Carmen. Got some interesting pictures to share.
The weather has not been overly warm, about 24 c but it has rained for a short period everyday. the locals are complaining its cold and too wet. The temp is great for me!
first pic is a small suv by VW, crossfox.
second car is a GLI wagon. Looks like a newer jetta city body.
A snap from a cantina by the sea
Tulum ruins dating around 800 ad
shicks

Postby GTI » Jan 22nd, 2016, 8:55 pm

Nice!
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Postby 8382 » Jan 25th, 2016, 10:04 am

Steve, thank you for taking the time to post the pictures of your exploits. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Looks like the journey is going smoothly! Enjoy the time on the road. All the best to both you and Mary. Be safe, Blair.
its got a cop motor

Postby shicks » Jan 25th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Hey thxs Blair
Here's one for you. We we're walking to walmart and this creature was parked in the lot. Not many mk1 rabbits here. Like most stuff here it was in terrible shape. Lots of rust, this thing had an extra 100 pounds of bondo. I got about 15 feet from it and the gas smell was so strong I had to back away.
Lots of shit hauled Beatles and buses. They import the seat brand here too.

shicks

Postby shicks » Feb 7th, 2016, 5:24 pm

Not much happening on VOGN these days. I'll try and keep things going. Walking to the market today I snapped this picture of a mk1 in the parking lot. It is badged as a GTI, I'm not sure I would trust the badging. I have learned everything in Mexico is not always as it appears. The general rule is not to trust anything, especial if you think it's a deal. So like most of the older cars it has some funny things happening. Zoom in on the rear wheel. Yep, me too, I said to myself, cool its got upgraded rear disks. Hahaha fooled, look closely, no caliper, just a plastic fake rotor in front of the drum. see, don't trust anything!

Second picture is the bike path next to Playacar. Its about 4 km long. We we're riding along and kept hearing rustling in the brush next to the path. A closer look, it was a iguana running for the drain ditch under the bike path. I managed to catch a picture. Again zoom in at the ditch in the center of the pic. In the 4 km I bet there were a dozen Iguanas. Always thought they were slow moving. They move real quick .

That's it for now. Ill try and post more to keep the forum going.

shicks

Postby GTI » Feb 8th, 2016, 10:26 am

GTI clone or not it looks like a solid car.

Keep the posts coming Steve. It may be half dead around here from a post perspective but lots lurkers so keep posting updates on your adventures!
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Postby oscanada » Feb 8th, 2016, 12:00 pm

Looks like you are having a great time! Keep posting those pictures, and who knows we might have some VOGN updates in store to make it easier for you to post photos :D !
Ryan Hayward
VW:
2001 GTI 1.8T Black
1984 Rabbit (GTI Clone)
Non-VW:
2004 Echo Hatchback
oscanada

Postby shicks » Feb 9th, 2016, 1:54 pm

Hey Ryan, It would be cool to get a easy way to post up pictures. Posting pictures is a real pain here on vogn. Not so bad when I'm on my computer but I find using a mobile device a real pain. On the iPhone going from one page to another I tend to loose what happens in vogn. Maybe its just me! It might increase activity here on the forum too if things were a little easier.
shicks

Postby GTI » Feb 9th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Steve if you download the TapaTalk app it might be easier to do it with your phone otherwise changes are a comin'
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Postby shicks » Feb 10th, 2016, 9:13 pm

Some more cars for your viewing pleasure. I meet a guy driving a bus at the local food Mega mart. His bus was cool and I recognized it as a German import, not the normal Brazilian built common here in Mexico. The bus was rough with lots of patina. It was a 1976 US import which he proudly told me. It had a engine swap to the 1.6 Mexican beetle engine and he had it decked out including the dingle balls and painted white walls. For some reason it worked and it was a cool bus. It had no paint, totally surface rusted and he told me no clear applied. so it was cool, I always think the clear changes the look of cool surface rust.

So he told me they were waiting for some other cars to attend the local Carnival parade, it's where I took these pictures. The next car in was a nicely painted 1998 Mexican beetle. He had the front dropped. I asked where the compressor and air tank were. He quickly said, no no ...to much deniro here in Mexico. The front end is raised and lowered manually with a wrench on a bolt in the center of the axle accessible thru a small flap in the front luggage area. He had it about 50 mm off the road. A brave man considering the road hazards here. The car was nicely done, had A/C, alloys rims from a new style beetle, seats from an A3 audi and a 18 inch stinger out the back.

The last car I took a picture of during the parade was a pimped out Mk 3 cabrio. He must have had 6 video screens in the car. It was way over the top. The scissor doors were done very well. the coloured lights around the calipers were very Mexican.

I saved the best one for last. Here you see a clapped out Thing parked on the road outside our apartment. It was rough to say the least. Bondo supreme. So zoom in close and have a look what is attached to the steering wheel. Yes....a security club. Hahahah. But I think it was there because there was no ignition key, probably an easy steal without having to use a key. It just looked funny.

shicks

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Feb 11th, 2016, 12:57 am

Awesome pics and stories! Did you get any other pics of the bus?
Colonel_Mustard

Postby shicks » Feb 22nd, 2016, 12:39 pm

Some more pictures of the local streets. This first one was at walmart. Love the small round window in the back.

Same parking lot. Had to snap a picture of the sunscreens tied to the windshields.

Next a nice looking beetle. Got some body mods done to the engine lid, and non original tail lights. I wonder how the engine stays cool with no vents?

A rough Manx, no engine cooling problems here!

One for you Chris, A very nice looking early bay. This is rare to see.

This is actually a water cooled version. It looks nice from 20 feet but like most of the buses I have seen it has loads of rust in the lower edges.

Last one, a sweet vespa knockoff.
shicks

Postby shicks » Mar 17th, 2016, 12:59 am

Well we are back in the bus , having left Mexico last week. It's good to be moving again and seeing different things. Mexico was necessary to extend our stay in the US and to find warmer weather. Two months in Mexico means we don't have to be back in Canada until May. Giving us warmer weather to drive from coast to coast. So Since returning to the bus we have been doing lots of driving. We pulled the bus out of the storage locker on a beautiful sunny day. After reconnecting the batteries the engine turned over half dozen times and fired right up. I had to assemble all the stuff on the top but it was good to be doing something some what mechanical after the Mexico jaunt. Here's a pic of the bus ready to leave the storage locker.

We left Las Vegas and headed north towards Zion National Park.Zion is in the south West corner of Utah and is a totally different landscape from Las Vegas. The drive took us 5 hours, it's actually not that far, we are just turtle slow. We planned on camping in the park at the full serve campground. Upon arriving the ranger told us the campground is sold out from now until US thanksgiving (in November) yeah right, so if you want to camp in Zion you better make a reservation well in advance. So one of the great things about driving a VW Bus is lots of people tell you about their VW trips and their love of the VW's. Well a second Ranger came up to us and started tell us her memories of camping in a Bus. She asked if we were going to spend the night in the campground, I said we had hoped to but the campground is booked. Hahah, she says ,oh, not to worry I just got a cancellation and it fits a bus perfectly. So we had the prime spot just inside the gates. We spent two nights there.We did five hiking trails around Zion. They have a park shuttle that takes you us the canyon to the different trail heads. Here are some pictures of ZIon.
The camp site
Emerald pools
Looking out from weeping rock, look closely in the center to see the park tandem shuttlecoming around a coner. This will give you a scale to judge the canyon walls.

Leaving Zion we climbed up out of the canyon and headed towards the Grand Canyon. It took us 8 hours to drive the 240 miles. Lots of steep hills in 2nd gear. We entered the GC on the east side and our first look off was Watch Tower. We thought that Zion was huge, well the GC is breath taking. 10 miles across, 1 mile deep, pictures can't give it justice. Here are a couple pictures. Mary was taking the pictures so I will post more once I get them off her ipad.

Before I end this post, another bus story. Going into the GC, we again wanted to stay at the campground. Knowing Zion was booked the chances of getting a spot in the GC would be slim. But we decided to try. It was 15 minutes before the office was closing, we roll up and the ranger behind the glass says, ''we are full, it's spring break and the park is blocked. That's a nice bus you have, it's a 73 right?'' me, "yeah, we have been driving since last September, we have put over 11000 miles on it''. Ranger, ''cool I got a 73 that I have rebuilt....''. this banter goes on for a couple minutes. Just before he is about to close the window a young girl comes up to check out early. He looks at the early check out card, it's got two days left on it, turns to me and says,'' well Mr. and Mrs. Mendosa have a nice stay in the GC". Jackpot again, this time two nights for free.
shicks

Postby GTI » Mar 17th, 2016, 8:44 pm

:thumbup:
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Postby shicks » Mar 23rd, 2016, 5:21 pm

some more pictures of the trip around Arizona and southern Utah. After the Grand Canyon we drove to Flagstaff going though the snow bowl. We climbed from 4500 to 8000 feet. The bus is running a single weber so our power at these altitudes diminishes quite a bit. Some of these climbs I'm down to 2nd gear 20 mph. From Flagstaff we went to Winslow, basically just to see the monument of "standing on the Corner", Eagles, Take it Easy. The painting on the wall is a girl in a flat bed ford.
From there we went to monument valley. This is the area with the huge Mittens buttes. We decided to drive north on US163. At mile marker 13 there is a sign post highlighting the point were Forest Gump stopped running. Have a look at the pics.

The Gump Point!!!!

Here is the google picture, I think there was Camera magic to make it closer or maybe my crappy phone shot is making it look farther away.

From Monument valley we went to Moab. This is a adventure tourism town with lots of mountain biking, water rafting, mountain climbing and 4 wheeling. We stayed outside the town and went to the Arches National Park.

Balance Rock

more to come
Last edited by shicks on Mar 23rd, 2016, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shicks

Postby shicks » Mar 23rd, 2016, 5:38 pm

More arches

shicks

Next

Return to Lounge