It is currently May 26th, 2018, 1:13 pm Advanced search

Board index  ‹ General  ‹ Lounge

VOGN.org now has its own official facebook page

Random topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Fenny, oscanada, GTI, lew

VOGN.org now has its own official facebook page

Postby GTI » Jun 4th, 2015, 11:18 am

1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Re: VOGN.org now has its own official facebook page

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Jun 4th, 2015, 1:09 pm

Bam!

It's both a positive and negative how Facebook is taking over.
I find it gives a broader reach, keeps everyone connected, and brings in more people as it is easier to share.
But I enjoy forums and it is a little sad to see every car forum dying out as Facebook groups take over.
But change is inevitable.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby BobNorman » Jun 4th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Yeah, it is both positive and negative. There certainly is room for both, the forums are much better for archiving and retrieving information though, not really possible with FB. Same for build threads. I don't see The Samba dying anytime soon in favour of a FB group though, for those very reasons. Way too much good information on the site vs the page.

At least this is still here, I could see using the FB group to direct to a few cool build threads here.
BobNorman

Postby emkayfourturbo » Jun 4th, 2015, 9:35 pm

I don't have FB and have no intentions of having it. Someone text me for meets and runs. Most of the tech info I need for my car I find on the tex or corrado club and I usually get answers fairly quick when I ask questions.
1989 2.0 16v
1984 GTI
2015 GTI (Lauren's car)

"Wheel gap is like a vagina...the more fingers you can fit, the worse off you are"
emkayfourturbo

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Jun 4th, 2015, 11:01 pm

Someones too cool for FB. I assume all of the meet info will be posted here as well. I try to keep The Dub Show forum updated, but its better to stay in touch on FB.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Jun 4th, 2015, 11:02 pm

BobNorman wrote:Yeah, it is both positive and negative. There certainly is room for both, the forums are much better for archiving and retrieving information though, not really possible with FB. Same for build threads. I don't see The Samba dying anytime soon in favour of a FB group though, for those very reasons. Way too much good information on the site vs the page.

At least this is still here, I could see using the FB group to direct to a few cool build threads here.

Yeah thats why it sucks to see the forum die. But the members ride section is mostly just me now. And that barely gets any attention so you get tired of feeling like you are talking to yourself haha.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby GTI » Jun 5th, 2015, 7:39 am

IMO theres room for both the FB page ang the site to coexist. Yes the site here is slow no doubt but thats just indicative to the local scene in general aside from one common thing - younger crowd and their love of FB and quick mobile postings. The FB page will be used to supplement the site but i will keep the site going as long as i have a sponsor to help me offset the costs o keeping it up. Its purpose now over FB is more of an archive and i will still use it to post information on events and all things vogn.

The site gets plenty of visits on a regular basis with lots of lurkers. Each week i activate a few new members. Theres still a few people not linked to the FB world and come here for information. Now to start an instagram and twitter account for vogn lol
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Jun 5th, 2015, 12:58 pm

I'm kind of speaking in general. Has little to do with the local scene as car forums across the board are fading away. Pretty much all the ones I use have slowed way down.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby GTI » Jun 5th, 2015, 2:10 pm

No you are correct Chris mist forums im involved in have slowed because of the ease of postin in places like fb but forums have a place to archive posts. Just need ti get people using both. The local vw car scene is slow here. A bunch of new young guys keeping it going in their warercooled cars but as always the air cooled stuff is pretty well non existant meet wise except for mark snd hopefully you when you get back. Its still early in the seaosn so hopefully we get some more ac stuff out niw that the weather is getting warmer and they have some natural heat lol.
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Postby Colonel_Mustard » Jun 5th, 2015, 3:20 pm

The bus guys aren't so bad, I don't know what it is about the Beetles though. Lots of beautiful examples on the island but they don't come out much. Planning an all-baywindow run later in the summer, and mine will be out all the time from July 22- August 26.
Colonel_Mustard

Postby GTI » Oct 9th, 2015, 11:21 am

200+ members and growing. Thanks to those who have joined. Please continue to spread the good word of VOGN on Facebook.
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Return to Lounge