It is currently Nov 14th, 2018, 2:09 pm Advanced search

feeler '85 Scirocco 1.8L 5 speed (pics after the snow)

Sell your cars and/or parts. VAG only please.

Moderators: Fenny, oscanada, GTI, lew

feeler '85 Scirocco 1.8L 5 speed (pics after the snow)

Postby HanS » Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:25 am

Hello VOGN,

Scirocco 2 + parts hoard feeler

With a couple of new additions the ol'vw herd requires thinning out.  I'm on the fence (why is it so hard to let a car go?) so I just want to gauge interest.

Up for grabs is a lightly modded '85 1.8L 5 speed scirocco.

The good:
                   Gotta luv the ol'JH & FN trans.
                   New sachs/boge struts with eibach sport springs. Approximately 25 mm drop. Installed on cleaned, rust inhibited rebuilt housings.
                   New top mounts.
                   Scirocco 1 rad (reservoir delete in progress, still on the hunt for a solid early coolant hard pipe)
                    Power steering deleted.
                    Mk2 throttle body (larger butterfly) that was smoothed and polished but is now hazed over.
                    Intake ported to match TB. Was smoothed and polished but is now hazed over.
                    Header (not sure of brand).
                    New fuel pump relay.
                    New Bosch fuel pump and filter.
                    Complete swap out of original CIS for a known working system.
                    Stainless steel fuel pump bracket/holder.
                    Rusted out filler neck swapped for a rust free/ rust inhibited one.
                    New rotor, cap, plug wires and spark plugs.
                    Brakes and hand brake cable refresh.
                    In process of swapping rubber bushings for poly ones.
                    Eurosport upper rear strut tie bar.
                    14" avus rims (snowflakes) mounted with new uniroyal tigerpaws.
                    New battery.
                    Rebuilt altenator.

The history:
                   Spent the summers of 2008/2009 getting to this point with the car. Mainly cleaning out the fuel system chasing CIS gremlins until finally replacing the system and getting'er to fire up. I was just about to have her inspected and on the road when I realized that the patch required for the floor was going to have be much larger than I had originally thought. No MVI for me. The car stayed in my driveway (no space in garage) and was occasionally started and moved around while I continued to pick at it and contemplate the floor repair. I was getting ready to say cufk it and slap on some fibreglass it when I changed jobs got real busy and you can fill in the rest. 
Anyhow when things finally approached some semblance of normalcy and my scheduled opened up a bit (now fall of 2010) I went to move the car and she wouldn't start. So I screamed and pulled out some of my remaining hair and went to play with the'78 G60 'rocco to make myself feel better. Mulling it over I would bet anyone $50 that it wouldn't run due to a sticky plunger in the metering head from sitting too long. A 30 minute job (5 min if you can free it up with a good smack).

So....the bad:
                         Won't start.
                         Floors need work.
                         Usual S2 leakiness, water is getting in through the hatch.
                         Sliding metal sun roof needs a new seal.
                         Power windows work when they feel like it.
                         Cracked dash and peeling door cards (but the rest of the interior is in quite good shape).
                         Shift linkage needs to be rebuilt with new bushes.
                          End cap on trans rusted through. I used a dab of JB weld to seal it up. I attempted to drain and replace the gear oil but my makeshift 17mm allen key (old lug bolt and vice grips) wasn't up to the task of freeing the drain plug. So I proceeded to jack up the rear passenger corner until it stopped running out of the fill hole. Then put her back down and filled it with new gear oil. I'm not super happy with this and feel that the trans should be properly drained from it's low point to ensure that it is free of water and properly filled to the right level with 100% fresh gear oil.
                               The car had a little fender bender at some point. The PO did a bondo rattle can repair. I do have replacement fenders and hood.
                              It has the usual rust of a 26 year old NL car.
                             I installed a awful sounding ill-fitting fart can exhaust that matched up with the header.

The hoard:
                    Basically I have every thing that could be reused/was worth saving from an '82 scirocco. Willing to let most of this go with the car. Highlights include:
                    All removable body panels except for the doors. The coolest is the wiperless hatch.
                    Any sheet metal I felt was worth saving. Slam panel, core support, lower valence, too tiny floor sections (I wish I had the foresight to take as much of the floor as was good).
                     Everything mechanical, electrical, or rubber that could be removed. Ask and ye shall receive.
                      The og power steering set up.

The price:
                  This is always the tough part, balancing money spent with condition and irrational sentiment. All told there is more than three grand thrown into the vw pit we call a hobby. I realize that no sane person would pay what I've spent on this. That being the case I feel that $1800 is fair to ask. Feel free to haggle but if I'd sooner part it out then give it away.

Pics will come tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

HanS

Last edited by HanS on Mar 7th, 2012, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
HanS

Re: feeler '85 Scirocco 1.8L 5 speed (pics tomorrow)

Postby Foxtrap » Dec 23rd, 2011, 2:20 pm

Looking forward to seeing pics....bit pricey for me to entertain in the stated shape...but I'll stay tuned for the part out/price drop.

cheers.
Stephen
92 Jetta GTX 16v
Chev Silverado 1500 4.3 liter 4b4
Foxtrap

Postby GTI » Dec 28th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Pics?
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Postby the gas man » Dec 31st, 2011, 12:12 pm

tomorrow never comes. he`s probably giving out free beer tomorrow as well :lol:
2014 Tiguan 2015 Jetta Highline 2011 kawasaki Z1000
the gas man

Postby Foxtrap » Dec 31st, 2011, 6:44 pm

I'll take a dozen and a few high res pics
92 Jetta GTX 16v
Foxtrap

Re: feeler '85 Scirocco 1.8L 5 speed (pics after the snow)

Postby HanS » Mar 7th, 2012, 6:41 am

Hey by's,

Sorry for the ultra long delay....you know, life happens. I won't bore you with the details.

We all do understand the word "feeler" right. Hearing that the price is high leaves me not feeling it. Outta curiosity what's a reasonable price for a mk1 vw with a few extras.

Being ultra busy I really was hoping to sell it as a package but if I have to break it down to cut down on my loss that's what I'll do. It will most likely take me way longer to do that than it did for me to get around to this reply :) but as it stands it's not going anywhere. I was just hoping someone might want to save a scirocco. Maybe I'll buy a drivers side pan and hang on to it.

As for the pics, I figured you all know what a snow covered car looks like. When the snow goes the pics will come. In the mean time if there is something in particular that you are looking for in terms of parts (I wasn't planning to document the hoard) I will take a pic and stick it up. You name it and I probably have at least one of 'em.

HanS
HanS

Postby Foxtrap » Mar 7th, 2012, 11:30 am

Mk1 Mk2 mk3....dodge omni glh.... What ever it is, not running and rusted out is 500 bucks for me.. You might get more if you part it out, or take the time to fix it yourself... 1800 will get you a rust free and running Rocco elsewhere.

Sounds like the car in question would need a couple grand to get inspected... Or a few solid days work. Which is fine, but the price should reflect that... I'm not raggin on you, just answering your question.

If you part it out I'd give you a fair price for a few parts.. Fenders- lower valence - clean dash no cracks?.. Although I think it's only you me and cornick with active sciroccos here, a part out with out Canada post's help might not be that lucrative ...

All the same- get some pics up of the floor rot situation , the engine bay.. And wipe the snow off her to get people excited about their next project and you might get a grand out of someone!

Sincerely,
Karl Stotreau
92 Jetta GTX 16v
Foxtrap

Postby GTI » Mar 7th, 2012, 11:32 am

85 Rocco is a MK2 for the Rocco platform.
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Postby GTI » Mar 7th, 2012, 11:33 am

Does this car or the parts car have leather seats?
1983 Rabbit GTI
2007 GTI
2007 Rabbit
GTI

Postby vdubkarl » Mar 7th, 2012, 12:49 pm

You didn't even spell it right phonse...
vdubkarl

Postby Foxtrap » Mar 7th, 2012, 3:55 pm

GTI wrote:85 Rocco is a MK2 for the Rocco platform.

Well.. Mk1 platform for suspension and whatnot.. But it is the s2.. Being the mk2 of the Rocco (confused face)
92 Jetta GTX 16v
Foxtrap

Postby Foxtrap » Mar 7th, 2012, 3:56 pm

vdubkarl wrote:You didn't even spell it right phonse...

Spell check won that battle... I just took their word for it.
92 Jetta GTX 16v
Foxtrap

Postby oscanada » Aug 5th, 2016, 12:53 pm

Do you still have any of this?? I would be interested in some.
Ryan Hayward
VW:
2001 GTI 1.8T Black
1984 Rabbit (GTI Clone)
Non-VW:
2004 Echo Hatchback
oscanada

Return to Cars/Parts